Concept through final design and construction documents for site and landscape improvements for a 4 acre area adjacent to the new ‘Magic Spell Studios’ facility and a major pedestrian entrance from parking and drop-off areas to the interior of the campus.
Sustainable elements included:
- Use of plant material that does not require irrigation or high maintenance.
- New rain/rock gardens
- Use of light-colored reflective rather than dark colored, heat-absorbing pavement materials.
- Added new tree varieties to the growing campus arboretum.
Site design work included:
- Sculpture feature pads were also incorporated at key locations along the pedestrian route to highlight student’s art work
- 24,000 SF concrete, tinted concrete, and exposed aggregate sidewalks.
- Extensive site landscaping and mounding to create a unique space yet blend well with existing campus plant material. Mounded lawns create areas to sit, study, and relax in the shade or sun.
- Ornamental, durable brightly colored flowering shrubs bring color to the space from early Spring through the Fall.
- Amenity design, selection for a steel ribbon benches around the site, bike racks, 28 new light poles, and several trash receptacles.
Site Analysis, Schematic / Concept Design, Master Planning, Construction Documents, Construction Administration
Location: Rochester NY
Client: Rochester Institute of Technology
Project Completed: 2019